Labrigold

This blog is for Honors English.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Success

How is success measured? Are you successful when you reach a certain amount of income? Are you successful when you finally get that new boat? Who can even measure success? Can you measure your own success? Are YOU successful?

These are a few of the questions one might ask as they reflect back upon their lives.

“Success is when you go for your goal, and you make it.” I once heard that the only way to get a simple answer for a complex question is to ask a child. This just happens to be the answer that a child did give me. But, is this all there is to success? I firmly believe yes.

When we have gained lots of money, or trophies, or anything else, they are just reminders of our success. You don’t have to have any of those things to be successful. Success if measured in how much and how well you completed what you set out to do. You don’t have to be rich or own a gold medal to be successful, I think you just have to have learned from your experience. You have to be a better person for what you did.

The only person who can measure success for you is: you. It is like how people say anyone can see your desires, but people can’t see what is in your heart. Only you can say if you honestly did your best and accomplished your goal. No matter what anybody else says, if you feel you were successful, then you were. It doesn’t really matter what anybody else says. Just because somebody says something, it doesn’t make it true.

But, sometimes we seem to get stuck on the evaluation part. I often find that when I know the answer for something someone asks me, but I don’t want to answer, I edge around the answer instead of deciding. I start feeling uncomfortable because I don’t know if I believe what I feel, I just don’t really want to think about it. That way, I don’t have to make a decision about what I feel. Maybe you guys feel that way sometimes. This can really be a problem because you don’t want to look inside yourself and found out the answer. I hate having to judge myself because, well, I might be wrong.

But the thing is, I think you know when you are telling the truth. It is just something that comes. So when we are reflecting upon our experiences, we should keep in mind that what we feel is true. Your success depends totally on you.

Sometimes this bothers me because I don’t always want to be the one to decide if I do stuff right or if I have been successful. As human beings I think we like to know that others think the same as you; that they think you have been successful also.

I think that to truly find out if you are successful, you have to have the courage to look inside yourself and really reflect upon your experience. It takes time, but you will always be able to find out, and be reassured when you have done something your best.

1 Comments:

Blogger Labrigold said...

Wow, you really got in deep, great job!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home