Labrigold

This blog is for Honors English.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Peer Pressure

As we go through life, we are constantly making choices. With those choices, there are always people trying to help us make them. So, how can we make sure that we are listening to the right people and not being pressured into doing something wrong?

First, sourround yourself with people who have high standards. IF you have good friends, they will be less likely to try and persuade you to do wrong. In the Strength of Yourth Pamphlet it reads ' Choose your friends carefully. They will greatly influence how you think and act, and even help determine the person you will become.'

Another way you can ensure that you won't get snagged in peer pressure is to make a decision about what you will do in certain situations before-hand. It is easier to stick to your decision if you have made it before you are called upon to act on it.

Third, value the advice of certain people. Listen to what your parents and good friends have to say. If you get caught in a situation where you don't know what to do, seek advice from them.

Last, you should know what you believe in and listen to your conscience and the spirit. If you know what you believe in, it will be a lot easier to do what you know is right. You always your conscience and the Spirit to help you. If you just listen to them, you will know what to do.

Making the right choices and withstanding peer pressure can be a hard thing. But, we can all do it. We have people around us who will be more than willing to help us. I would like to end with this quote by THomas S. Monson: " Life's journey is not traveled on a freeway devoid of obstacles, pitfalls, and snares. Rather it is a pathway marked by forks and turnings. Decisions are constantly before us. To make them wisely, courage is needed: the courage to say, 'No' the courage to say, 'Yes' Decisions do determine destiny.

I think peer pressure can also be a good thing. But, the 'good pressure' isn't generally called that.

How it can be used for good is by: having friends try and help you make a right choice, or by having you try and make someone else make a good decision.

A 'life experience' of this could be when I won't go to play basketball with my friends. They won't leave until I come. That's good. Because, I really need the excersise.

I don't always like being forced into doing things I don't want to do but, if it is for good cause, I should be okay with it. One of my favorite past times is trying to persuade people to do stuff. Especially track. I always try to persuade people to do it. I think it is cool when I can get someone to do something I say.

One of the best ways is to persuade your siblings. It is very fun. But, we must be careful because we are setting the example for them. We must watch our backs. If we persuade them to do something bad, they will probably pass it on. That would be bad. I think we should probably only try and help make our siblings do good things. We should be kind to them.

I know that peer pressure and friends go hand in hand. If we have good friends, we won't be persuaded to do bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home